Product Types and Tasting Fees

Since people are responding here faster than the community, where do people list their tasting fees? We have them programmed as event tickets, so the end of the day wine sales can be separated from the tasting fees. What does everyone else do? Is it possible to set up a brand new product type?

Maybe an appropriate use for Departments and Sub-Departments.

They are already separated into departments, but on the end of day report, its split by product types, which is where we need the separation.

We just make them a regular Product, and put them in their own Dept. That seems to be enough separation. I can also do a Sales Detail X for just the tasting SKU if I want…

1 Like

Departments and Brands are the best artificial product dividers (that can power Promos) (in my opinion).

1 Like

The event tickets do work great for us, since we don’t have formal events that would normally use that product type. I wish we could do custom product types, but its cool to see what others are doing.

I would avoid dividing using Brands. That could cause some integration and compliance complications down the road, potentially.

1 Like

Yep, as always, Ed, you’re right. Lots of large clients (including the winery I came from) utilize Brands as a way to power Promos because Departments are already being used for another specific purpose that’s incompatible with the intended usage here. Using Brands will work without a hitch if you don’t use ShipCompliant. Using Brands will works if you use ShipCompliant as long as you don’t sync BrandKey with ShipCompliant (or don’t sync products with ShipCompliant at all).

It may not work for you, but it may work for others. :wink:

Also fulfillment integrations with WineDirect and, I believe, VinFillment.

It’s just a hacky way of implementing something and if Vin65 were to change the expected behavior of Brands, it may take a lot of unraveling.

1 Like

Similar to @ElJefe, we have ours set up as non-inventoried items using the “WineProduct” product type.

If people are still reading this thread…
wondering how people take tasting fees into account with their average order value? I worry that a $10 tasting fee is dragging that AOV down…especially on really busy days where we might take the tasting fee up front and reimburse with purchase.
The Daily Activity Report so kindly gives us that AOV number but I’m not able to take the tasting fees out, if I wanted that number for just wine purchases.
Thoughts?

That’s why we have ours listed as events, so we can easily separate the wine sales from the daily activity report. And we don’t sell actual event tickets, so there is no conflict.

I get that (and really like the concept) but wouldn’t it still count towards your total orders for the day? Do you try to track the number of orders that were just tasting fees and try to back those out?

We record the sub-total of the wine purchases, before tax, shipping and tips.

How do those of you who are using the “Event Ticket” category for tastings deal with the automatic system email that sends the “Here’s your tickets!” email out to the purchaser? I know I can change what the auto system email says…but I can’t stop it from generating. We do, also, hold events to which we sell tickets, but our tastings are only scheduled by admin users (guests cannot book their own tasting) and we don’t want our guests getting “Here’s Your Tickets” emails, especially since most of the fees are waived, or rung up after they have left. We offer a variety of tastings, so we have several SKU#s for the different tastings, but the product category is “Event Tix”.

Are most of you using a different department (other than event tickets) and/or a sub category for these?