Tipping and crashing sales

THIS POST ONLY APPLIES to those of you that allow tipping on the sale. We have encountered an interesting problem as of late. I DO have tickets opened to help out on this issue, but i was curious if anyone else is seeing this happening.

To date, Vin65 support has been very helpful to us and unfortunately, I feel we are the only ones reporting this behavior since we all have big question marks in bubbles hovering over our heads as we walk around.

Scenario.

1. Customer buys something.
  2. Sales person prints the receipt with the tip line.
  3. Hand it to the customer.
  4. Customer writes in the tip and signs the chit. Hands back to staffer
  5. Staffer clicks ā€œchargeā€ and credit card swipe happens
  6. Staffer adds the tip in the tip section.
  7. screen goes away and you see the message "Voided Payment"
    Sometimes the staffer misses it and we lose the deal. I mean, we just poured free wine, and staffer received no tip.

We have been fortunate enough to be able to re-swipe the deal and it goes through. If we simply do NOT add the tip, the deal goes through.

So, if anyone else USES TIP LINE and has experienced this behavior please comment since i would like to offer tech support other transactions that may be experiencing this issue.

We have also had this happen on at least three different separate transactions between yesterday and today. Seems to be a new issue. Youā€™re not alone!!

1 Like

We do NOT use tip line, and we have seen this twice today. Clarify - we have tips, but we do not print.

MORE: On one order, this happened three times in a row to the same customer, on two different iPads. They gave up and paid cashā€¦

This is a steaming load of unacceptable.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a screen shot, is this what we are talking about?

1 Like

EGGZACHARY! And if you look at your clearinghouse (we use USAePay) you will see for each swipe a voided sale.

Thank you - i know we are not going completely crazy over here.

So - i know that my staffers are missing out on tips and are getting quite frustrated. I felt so badly, i went to our tourist-town candy store and bought all of them those ridiculously (expensive, but) delicious $5.50 ice cream bars to take the STING out of missing out on their tips. The best ones are dark chocolate dipped with toasted almonds. But I digressā€¦

Digression or not, Vin65 owes me $45 + tax and tip in ice cream bars now (haha)

But seriously, we pay our people base pay plus tips. In a small resort town, tips mean a lot to these folks. Losing out on the tips kinda sucks. A lot. Customers were gracious - one dropped a $20 into the jar (on a $24 worth of tasting fee???) for the girls when re-swipe didnā€™t work.

I will treat my staff all to a nice lunch or private employee buffet to make up for this, but this issue really needs to be resolved. Christmas and New Years is upon us and something needs to be fixed.

EDIT (ADD-ON) I was beginning to wonder in the Vin65 DEV team were working on one of my OLD feature requests to allow us to act more like a restaurant where the tip can be added after the transaction completed and then, they accidentally deployed this ā€˜almostā€™ feature to production???

1 Like

Iā€™m looking closer and in our two orders that got the Voided Payment message, neither one actually featured a tip.

@cdjohnston it may be that because your orders generally have tips that you might have associated this issue with tippingā€¦?

@brent @zach I went back and looked for any earlier instances of this behavior in the last couple months and found none. Yesterday was the first time. Perhaps we are looking at a recent code push that has something amiss?

Interesting @ElJefe that yours that failed did not have a tip. Generally speaking, our work around is to re-swipe the card with NO tip and the sale processes fine.

It may just be that the second try usually worksā€¦:wink:

We had that happen on several occasions over the last couple of days. I had it happen on a tour company that we charge their CC on file, I charged it, added the gratuity and it immediately voided the transaction. I re-charged and it went through. Vin65 has been glichier (I know, not really a word, but it applies in this case) than normal lately. Lots of frustration with the system right now.

@cdjohnston @ElJefe, as always, thanks for your dive into the facts here. The team and I are diligently working to isolate and resolve this problem.

@ElJefe, @cdjohnston,

From the one true king of development:

There was an issue where pressing the ā€œEnterā€ key on the custom tip would actually submit the ā€œCancelā€ action vs. the ā€œApplyā€ action. This would result in any custom tip that was submitted by pressing ā€œEnterā€ instead of the ā€œApplyā€ button in doing the same action as the ā€œCancelā€ button. We have fixed this issue and it is live [now]. - @kelton

1 Like

@zach @kelton So the reason we saw it with no tip applied is that $0 is still a custom tip. Roger?

@ElJefe - The key factor to this bug was the usage of the ā€œEnterā€ key, whether that be on the iPad on-screen keyboard or on Desktop with a regular keyboard. Regardless of what tip amount was entered, as long as the ā€œEnterā€ key was used to submit the form, it would do the ā€œCancelā€ action (which only can really happen if your cursor is on the custom tip input).

1 Like