Tipping at Wineries

oh please yes. We allow tipping (cash) at our dinners we do…bottom of menu says “Gratuities Appreciated” and our staff gets tipped 85-90% of the time. People give me a weird look when they can’t add it on credit line.

1 Like

We hear you. I know a lot of you have submitted feature requests for additional tip amounts and/or customizable amounts. Know that we review feature requests constantly and prioritize our feature roadmap using this data. Although tips are not currently on our roadmap for this quarter, I’d encourage all of you to continue requesting this feature so it gains momentum and plays a bigger factor in determining the value in building out tips. Thanks!

I just don’t understand how this isn’t a simple easy fix?

Why not just fix it for the small businesses out here so we can actually
utilize the feature? You guys seem to be focused on features only large
wineries are going to be using and not
What the majority of us want. This may not be true but sense we cannot see
the level of feature requests per features we are left in the dark.

You guys have to understand the frustration on that? We don’t need to sell
wine on eBay and reward sites. We need better ways to interact with our
customers to sell more wine to our current customers.

What can be done in the interim until it changes, have the tip feature active, and all you need to say is “now lets get your signature”, and you could add “tips are optional” if they seem upset about it.

Well sure. We do this already.

I dislike saying this in a public forum, but I raised the issue a long time ago and I’m kind of tired of nothing getting done.

As long as the tip screen is separate from the signature screen, an unscrupulous employee can easily steal from a customer. This needs to be fixed.

At one point WineDirect Ecomm had combined the two pages into one but the tip rate dropped dramatically across all tasting rooms. At one point I thought I saw there being an option to turn a combined tip/signature box on and off in the settings but I must’ve been hallucinating.

In reviewing tips this past week i noticed that the tip amount is calculated on the entire transaction, even SALES TAX is being tipped on. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I don’t think this is ethical…I also agree with everyone elses concerns regarding tips; employee fraud, inebriated customers, % being too high, which is see today has been made to be changed in the POS settings, I also think that the customer should be able to see the entire order like a restaurant bill so they know what their paying for as opposed to getting an email receipt and calling us a day or week later to complain. I did put in a support ticket about the ‘tipping on SALES TAX’ yesterday. This does need to be fixed or we will have some really mad customers if they figure it out.

It’s at least not customary! I went to WD Galactic HQ the other for among other reasons to plead the case on tipping reform. I’m hoping it helped.

1 Like

We actually just launched the ability to set custom tip percentages on your POS profile late last week. We are working on rolling out communications for this feature, but you can start using it today.

When you go to edit your POS profile (Settings > POS Profiles), if you have tips enabled on the POS profile you will now see three input boxes for tip % that you can customize.

If you need any help with this feature please don’t hesitate to reach out to our support team.

4 Likes

Hi Sean, I did see that and changed ours over the weekend. Thanks, More concerning is that the tips, when using the preset%, are being calculated including Sales Tax. I did have one customer point that out to me a couple weeks ago. I think this need to be changed as well.

2 Likes

As @Sean said, we’ve just released the ability to customize the default tip percentages: https://documentation.vin65.com/blog/Customizable-Tip-Percentages-in-the-POS

This is a first step towards revamping our tipping functionality, and we know it doesn’t address all the concerns outlined here. Our team, led by Jacob Powell, is taking a comprehensive look at this and other POS features. Please keep submitting your requests on what you would like to see so we can take them into account!

Just replying here… @Sean can you change the math so it is tipped on pre-tax amount? If it is a $400, no need for them to be tipping an additional $4.00 they “really” are not expecting?

1 Like

Thank you for making this change. I have a couple of more requests-- Allow the wineries to pre-determine which products are included in the % (and certainly not sales tax), allow set dollar amounts that would be reflective of most people’s experiences/preferences, and lastly - allow us to eliminate the suggested tips and have shown two options - Tip (Optional) for the client to fill in the amount they wish, or No Tip.
Thank you!

2 Likes

Of course, it’s just one more column in the database table. Easy Peasy, right? WDCrew? :wink:
I mean the “checkbox” that says “tip applies” if we are allowing pre-calculated tips on merchandise (non-tippable thingies) or not.

Taxing on sales tax is ill-advised. Why, you ask? 1) Quick thinkers (much like us winemakers - hahaha) pick up on that one quickly, and 2) i absolutely LOATHE it when the cafe does it to me. I actually explain to the server my math is pretty good, but our Governor doesn’t need any more than he gets…

I keep coming back to make this more like a restaurant experience since we operate more like a casual lounge with tables than a place with hordes massed at the bar. Generally speaking, our tips are $4 or $10 or in some cases $25 or $50, but it is generally speaking a round number.

BUT to be fair, we hand the customer the chit to sign so I have a hard copy signature, on paper and they write the tip there and then we process. The swipe is held before he gets to sign his chit.

OTOH - Have you ever seen a single person sign an iPad screen and be serious about it? I have had a very authentic John Hancock, a Marylin Manson and a few other dead celebrity names on the iPad. I get a LOT of smiley faces or mere squiggles.

2 Likes

Yes! I’ve made a similar request. Being able to opt products into the tip % would be huge!

Hello. After an embarrassing situation with a customer, we noticed the tip is being calculated after sales tax. I found this forum while searching through our community. I wanted to see if this issue has been addressed. I something being done to correct this?

Or, in the meantime, would it be possible to switch from percentages to dollar value in our POS Profile?

Agreed! Vote on the idea at Wine Direct Idea’s page here: https://ideas.winedirect.com/ideas/POS-I-408

Is there a way to split the tip money on Wine Direct between multiple staff members?

Not in wine direct.

We do this:

• Print the receipt with the order in question.
  • Write on it: “Joe/John 50/50 Tip”
  • Put it on Ryan’s desk (cluttering things up further!)
  • Ryan fixes it manually when it comes time to do payroll.
1 Like

I see that nothing has been done to remove sales tax from tipping! I do not think that this is appropriate or ethical. NO ONE should get a tip on sales tax! I don’t want to take the tipping option away from employees because they do benefit from it and deserve tips, but I have had SEVERAL CUSTOMERS complain about this. It shows poorly on my business and makes customers feel like they have been taken advantage of. I thought that WD is supposed to be customer focused as we are in the wine community. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED SOON!